Baileys Harbor, Wisconsin
Baileys Harbor, Wisconsin
Location of Baileys Harbor, Wisconsin
|• Total||68.8 sq mi (178.1 km2)|
|• Land||29.5 sq mi (76.5 km2)|
|• Water||39.2 sq mi (101.6 km2)|
|Elevation||584 ft (178 m)|
|• Density||34.0/sq mi (13.1/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (Central (CST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||1582742|
Baileys Harbor is a town in Door County, Wisconsin, United States. The population was 1,003 at the 2000 census. The unincorporated community of Peninsula Center is located in the town. The census-designated place of Baileys Harbor is also located with the town.
The town was named for a Great Lakes ship captain named Bailey who was caught in an unexpected severe storm in 1848 and found shelter in the harbor. The area was formerly known as Gibraltar.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 68.8 square miles (178.1 km2), of which, 29.5 square miles (76.5 km2) of it is land and 39.2 square miles (101.6 km2) of it (57.07%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,003 people, 483 households, and 301 families residing in the town. The population density was 34.0 people per square mile (13.1/km2). There were 1,029 housing units at an average density of 34.9 per square mile (13.5/km2). The racial makeup of the town was 98.21% White, 0.10% African American, 0.40% Native American, 0.30% Asian, 0.20% from other races, and 0.80% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.60% of the population.
There were 483 households, out of which 19.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 54.5% were married couples living together, 5.2% had a female householder with no husband present, and 37.5% were non-families. 32.5% of all households were made up of individuals, and 12.6% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.08 and the average family size was 2.60.
In the town, the population was spread out, with 17.0% under the age of 18, 5.5% from 18 to 24, 24.1% from 25 to 44, 32.1% from 45 to 64, and 21.2% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 47 years. For every 100 females, there were 99.0 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 96.7 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $41,350, and the median income for a family was $49,250. Males had a median income of $31,705 versus $26,458 for females. The per capita income for the town was $23,835. About 1.7% of families and 4.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including none of those under age 18 and 5.4% of those age 65 or over.
- Moses Kilgore (1817-1890), Wisconsin state legislator, shipbuilder, and businessman
- Paul Sills, theater director
- Lloyd Wasserbach, professional football player
- Emma Toft, conservationist
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "U.S. Census website". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Callary, Edward. Place Names of Wisconsin. Madison, WI: University of Wisconsin Press. p. 19. ISBN 978-0-299-30964-0.
- "Home" (Archive). Gibraltar Area Schools. Retrieved on June 16, 2014.
- "NASA Earth Observations Data Set Index". NASA. Retrieved 30 January 2016.
- 'Death of Hon. Moses Kilgore,' Sturgeon Bay Republican, October 14, 1890, pg. 1
- Baileys Harbor Community Association
- Google Maps - Aerial View
- Door County Chamber of Commerce - General Information