March 27, 1978
|Occupation||Author, webmaster, online personality, blogger, comedian|
George Ouzounian (born March 27, 1978), better known by his web name Maddox, is an American comedian, online personality, blogger, webmaster, and author. He gained fame on the Internet in the early 2000s for his opinion-oriented website, The Best Page in the Universe, which he still maintains. His first book, The Alphabet of Manliness (2006), became a New York Times bestseller. He is a graduate of Woods Cross High School in Woods Cross, Utah; he also attended the University of Utah, but does not hold a degree.
Maddox started The Best Page in the Universe in 1997. He took his pen name from the 1987 original video animation Metal Skin Panic MADOX-01. The majority of the content is satirical. Maddox reported in 2006 that the site's online store earned enough for him to "stay above water." Maddox is reported to have worked as a programmer for a telemarketing company until 2004.
On June 6, 2006, Maddox appeared at the San Diego Comic Con with his comic book, The Best Comic in the Universe. He was also working on a reality television show for Spike TV titled Manformation with Thom Beers and Dick Masterson until the project was shelved in 2011. In 2010, he appeared on Penn & Teller: Bullshit!'s eighth season episode "Old People" and started his own web series, The Best Show in the Universe, on YouTube. In 2012, Maddox appeared in the web series Tournament of Nerds as the character Kool-Aid Man. Maddox has also performed in the Upright Citizens Brigade Theatre and in the horror film Ooga Booga as the character Skeez.
Maddox has written three books, starting with The Alphabet of Manliness published in 2006. It reached number one on the Amazon.com sales chart. The book is illustrated and has a chapter-length entry for each letter in the English alphabet regarding a "manly" topic (for example, N is for Norris, Chuck). In 2011, his second book, I Am Better Than Your Kids, was published. Maddox announced his intention to write a third book in May 2015 and he updated fans about the first draft being written in September 2016. The book, titled F*ck Whales: Petty Essays from a Brilliant Mind was released in October 2017.
As of 2018, Maddox produces episodes of his web series The Best Show in the Universe which has just under 290,000 subscribers. In the past, episodes were accompanied by an article on a related topic posted to The Best Page in the Universe. Additionally, Maddox sells shirts, hoodies, hats, mugs, and other merchandise through his store.
Podcast and lawsuit
In 2014, Maddox co-created a weekly podcast titled The Biggest Problem in the Universe with Dick Masterson. The format of the show rotated between each co-host discussing a problem and soliciting votes from the audience. The podcast had its final episode on May 31, 2016. This led to Maddox creating a new podcast site Madcast Media. The pilot program, The Best Debate in the Universe features debates where Maddox argues both sides of an issue.
In November 2017, Maddox filed a $372 million harassment lawsuit with the New York Supreme Court against Masterson, individuals at Patreon, and Weber Shandwick copywriter Asterios Kokkinos who made guest appearances on The Biggest Problem in the Universe and The Dick Show. Maddox and his girlfriend, not named in the suit, allege that the defendants launched a trolling campaign against them which resulted in rape and death threats and the loss of sponsorship. They cited an album by Kokkinos and a billboard contest by Masterson, which both attempted to mock Maddox, along with targeted ads on Facebook and Reddit. A representative for Shandwick stated their plans to contest the lawsuit's claims, and Masterson rejected the allegations. On May 16, 2018, Judge Charles Ramos dismissed the claims against all defendants arguing that those against Masterson should have been filed in the jurisdiction of California. Of the claims against Asterios Kokkinos, Ramos expressed frustration as to the poor drafting of the complaint and its lack of specific evidence, saying, "this complaint is such a mess that I can't address these issues because I can't specifically point to what's being alleged as against your client or your client." Ramos dismissed the claims against Weber Shandwick with prejudice stating that they were named in the suit "just because someone used their equipment".
- Dick Masterson (March 25, 2018). "The Dick Show – Episode #95". The Dick Show. Retrieved March 27, 2018.
- Traister, Rebecca. "It's a man's world" (Interview). Salon.com. Retrieved May 17, 2016.
- "Don't move to Utah."
- The best interview in the universe Archived June 15, 2013, at the Wayback Machine. Daily Utah Chronicle. Retrieved on June 19, 2016.
- "The Brains Behind: The Best Page In The Universe." .net Magazine Archived February 14, 2008, at the Wayback Machine
- Goodmacher, Chris (August 31, 2003). "Whoever Sucks the Least is King, An Interview with Maddox". PoinDexter Online. Archived from the original (Online Journal) on June 3, 2007. Retrieved May 26, 2006.
- "Obscure satirist suddenly a best-seller." The Honolulu Advertiser.
- "It's a man's world." Salon Archived April 15, 2007, at the Wayback Machine
- "2006 Exhibitors M-Z Archived February 3, 2008, at the Wayback Machine." San Diego Comic Con
- "Pure testosterone...now in book format. "The Alphabet of Manliness"." The Stanford Daily Archived September 22, 2008, at the Wayback Machine
- Littleton, Cynthia (January 29, 2010). "Spike TV to give auds 'Manformation'" (Interview). Variety. Retrieved May 13, 2011.
- Big news from the main man. Thebestpageintheuniverse.net. Retrieved on June 19, 2016.
- "Tournament of Nerds". tournamentofnerds.com. June 2, 2012. Archived from the original on April 12, 2013. Retrieved February 10, 2013.
- "Tournament of Nerds: Abraham Lincoln Vs. Kool Aid Man". tournamentofnerds.com. June 12, 2012. Archived from the original on April 11, 2013. Retrieved February 10, 2013.
- "George Ouzounian". ucbtheatre.com. Retrieved February 19, 2013.
- "Check Out Some New Stills from Ooga Booga; Porn Star Siri Joins the Cast". dreadcentral.com. November 30, 2012. Retrieved February 10, 2013.
- "Ooga Booga coming in Feb 2013, Karen Black, Stacy Keach, Maddox, Siri". fullmoonhorror.com. January 29, 2013. Retrieved February 10, 2013.
- "The Alphabet Of Manliness (Hardcover)." Amazon.com
- Weinman, Jaime J. "The bestseller no one's ever read Archived December 26, 2008, at the Wayback Machine." Maclean's magazine.
- "'I Am Better Than Your Kids': An Interview With Maddox". The Huffington Post. July 11, 2011. Retrieved February 10, 2013.
- "Third Book Announcement". Maddox. May 12, 2015.
- "The Best Debate in the Universe Episode 15". Maddox. September 12, 2016.
- Tyrrell, Lee (November 10, 2017). "Maddox Interview: F*ck Whales, Video Games and Criticism". Secret Cave. Retrieved November 13, 2017.
- "Who - The Biggest Problem in the Universe". biggest.thedickshow.com/who/. Retrieved November 21, 2017.
- "Episode 1 - The Biggest Problem in the Universe". biggest.thedickshow.com/episode-1/. May 20, 2014. Retrieved November 21, 2017.
- "The Biggest Problem in the Universe Episode 107: The End of Shows". thebiggestproblemintheuniverse.com. Retrieved June 8, 2016.
- "The Best Debate in the Universe Episode 107: The End of Shows". madcastmedia.com. Retrieved June 8, 2016.
- "The Best Debate In The Universe". Maddox. June 7, 2016.
- Kanski, Alison (January 8, 2018). "Defendants request dismissal of harassment suit naming Weber Shandwick". PR Week. Retrieved March 3, 2018.
- Oster, Erik (November 20, 2017). "Lawsuit Claims Weber Shandwick Copywriter Helped Wage Harassment Campaign Against Podcast Host". Ad Week. Retrieved March 3, 2018.
- Kanski, Alison (November 20, 2017). "Lawsuit alleges Weber Shadwick didn't stop copywriter's online harassment campaign". PR Week. Retrieved March 3, 2018.
- "Transcript of May 16, 2018 hearing". New York County Supreme Court.
- Moore, Thomas (May 23, 2018). "Defamation suit against Weber Shandwick dismissed". PR Week. Retrieved May 23, 2018.
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Maddox|