Ice wall at Korouoma
Location of Posio in Finland
|Sub-region||Eastern Lapland sub-region|
|• Municipal manager||Heli Knutars|
|• Total||3,544.90 km2 (1,368.69 sq mi)|
|• Land||3,038.81 km2 (1,173.29 sq mi)|
|• Water||506.14 km2 (195.42 sq mi)|
|Area rank||16th largest in Finland|
|• Rank||214th largest in Finland|
|• Density||1.03/km2 (2.7/sq mi)|
|Population by native language|
|• Finnish||99.5% (official)|
|Population by age|
|• 0 to 14||12.5%|
|• 15 to 64||63.2%|
|• 65 or older||24.3%|
|Time zone||UTC+02:00 (EET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+03:00 (EEST)|
|Municipal tax rate||20.5%|
Posio is a municipality of Finland. It is located in the province of Lapland. The municipality has a population of 3,115 (31 December 2020) and covers an area of 3,544.90 square kilometres (1,368.69 sq mi) of which 506.14 km2 (195.42 sq mi) is water. The population density is 1.03 inhabitants per square kilometre (2.7/sq mi). Neighbour municipalities are Rovaniemi, Kemijärvi, Ranua, Salla, Kuusamo, Taivalkoski and Pudasjärvi.
The municipality has a single language, Finnish.
Major employers in Posio are the municipality itself, a major pottery manufacturer Pentik and agriculture (especially dairy farming).
The European route E63 runs through the northern-eastern parts of the municipality.
Korouoma canyon and natural reserve is located in Posio.
Sights and events
Posio's most renowned attractions are the Pentik-mäki Culture Centre, Riisitunturi National Park, Korouoma Nature Reserve, and the clear waters of lakes Kitkajärvi and Livojärvi. There are also many outdoor recreational things to do in Posio.
The world's northernmost ceramics factory is located in Posio. Pentik Oy interior design company was established in 1971 by Anu and Topi Pentikäinen.
Regular events in Posio are the Posio Fair, the amateur theatre event Teatterihelinät, and the Traditional Fish Fair Market (Muikkumarkkinat) in July.
- Kaarlo Maaninka (born 1953), Finnish long distance runner
- Soile Isokoski (born 1957), Finnish lyric soprano
- "Area of Finnish Municipalities 1.1.2018" (PDF). National Land Survey of Finland. Retrieved 30 January 2018.
- "Suomen virallinen tilasto (SVT): Väestön ennakkotilasto [verkkojulkaisu]. Joulukuu 2020" (in Finnish). Statistics Finland. Retrieved 11 February 2021.
- "Population according to language and the number of foreigners and land area km2 by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 29 March 2009.
- "Population according to age and gender by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 28 April 2009.
- "List of municipal and parish tax rates in 2011". Tax Administration of Finland. 29 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- Media related to Posio at Wikimedia Commons
- Posio travel guide from Wikivoyage
- Municipality of Posio – Official website (in Finnish and English)
- Posio Tourism – Official Website
|This Lapland (Finland) location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|